Friday, May 2, 2014

What I have learned...thus far.

I can not believe the semester is finally over! It feels like just yesterday that it was January. I am also shocked that I have been here at the United States Department of Commerce for four months now! Time really does fly by! I feel I have learned so much and have so much to still learn! Lucky for me I will get that chance! I was required to commit to a year when I applied. I am excited to see what the coming months have to offer and what I will learn.

Thus far, I feel some of the most important things I have learned are patience, time management, being thorough in your work, and knowing that if you want change, truly want change, you have to be the one that does it.

Working for a government agency, you learn that things take quite a long time. There is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape one must go through to complete tasks. Patience is required when working with the outdated software, helping a client apply for the necessary trade permits or even understanding the ever changing requirements.

Time Management is so very important. Here at the USEAC we are on constant deadlines to make sure clients get the necessary tools to succeed. We also host a slew of event on increasing trade all over the world, so making sure everything is planned accordingly so things go off without a hitch, is crucial. We work with many people in congress and at embassies and consulates all over the world, far more important people than myself, so being prompt and ready when either at the office or responding to their emails is important. The same goes for being thorough in your work.

Lastly, I have learned that if I want to change the world, then I must be the one who changes it. There are so many global issues I have been exposed to because of this internship, some good, some bad and it has lit a fire in me to help others, more so than usual.

I feel that I still have a lot to learn from my internship and am excited for the opportunities that await. Being here has solidified even more so that I do want a career in the public sector. I love interning here and knowing that I have hand in helping grow our global economy. To be honest, when I first started I did not think it would be something I would be so passionate about. Which just goes to show that you should always remove yourself from your comfort zone. Exposure to that which is new can be scary, but is always worth it in the end.

To my fellow classmates and bloggers, I hope your experience was just as rewarding as mine has been.

Cheers!

-S

2 comments:

  1. It was really interesting to look through your blog, it seems like you had a good time with the internship as well. Good luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I especially enjoyed this post as I faced many of the same challenges you did throughout this experience. Good luck with the continuation of your internship!

    ReplyDelete